POINTS OF INTEREST
The first palace to occupy this corner on La Rambla was built in 1702 and inhabited by the Marquès de Moja. The present austere palace was completed in 1784 and, with the Betlem church across the street, forms a small baroque-era pocket along La Rambla. The Palau is normally open to the public only on rare occasions, such as special exhibitions—when visitors also have the chance to see the handsome mural and painted ceiling by Francesc Pla, known as El Vigatà (meaning from Vic, a town 66 km north of Barcelona). In the late 19th century the Palau Moja was bought by Antonio López y López, Marquès de Comillas, and it was here that Jacint Verdaguer, Catalonia's national poet and chaplain of the marquess's shipping company, the Compañia Transatlántica, wrote his famous patriotic epic poem "L'Atlàntida."